The Nigerian Federal Government on Tuesday confirmed that its military forces has overpowered members of the Islamic Boko Haram sect and has effectively taken over Bama town in Borno State from the sect.
Addressing a press conference in Abuja, the coordinator of the National Information Centre, Mr
Mike Omeri, said that the military had intensified counter-terrorism operations in towns where the insurgents were challenging the
Mr Omeri also implored Nigerians to desist from buying pre-registered SIM cards as well as used phones, which he said could pose security challenges to the nation.
Reuters News Agency on Monday quoted a senior military official as saying that the flashpoint town of Bama in north-east Borno State had been recaptured from the Boko Haram sect.
It also reported that the Nigerian military blocked the Islamist militants’ advance towards the state capital, Maiduguri.
According to Reuters, the government source, who asked not to be named, said that the Boko
Haram fighters had been driven from Bama, 70 km south-east of Maiduguri.
The source also said that Government warplanes have bombed and strafed the militants after they stormed Bama last week.